Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls

I LOVED this book!!!!

I couldn't put it down and I was bummed when I finished it!

What a wild adventure!

The story itself is soooooooo interesting and I think the fact that it's true makes it all the more crazy & fascinating!

I really enjoyed the author's writing style. I feel like she said so much with few words. Very expressive in a simple way.

Even in the parts that were a bit more sad than normal, she explained in a way that were to the point, and yet still expressed the seriousness of the statement.

I'd love to read some of the author's other writings to see if this is just how she writes. I'm impressed that she was able to just tell the story... not in an angry way or sad way... Just in a way where she's just telling it. Almost like it isn't her story... just a story.

I have to admit, the mother in the book really bothered me. Out of everyone, she really seemed the most out-to-lunch. Actually, I found her to be quite selfish. Just flat-out selfish.

The other thing I found to be such a bummer was how much abuse these poor kids had to deal with.

Being attacked by the neighbor boy, being felt up by the evil grandma, being hit on while hitch hiking and by crazy uncle... Terrible!!! These poor kids!

It's amazing that 3 of these 4 kids grew up to have fairly normal lives. It's actually amazing that any of these kids made it to adulthood.

Good for them.

This is the first book in a long time that I just could not put down. It's so good and I've told everyone about it!!!

No comments: