Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Ok, how cute was this story?!?!?!

I really enjoyed this one and I was sad to see it end.

This one was for book club and I'm so glad it was chosen 'cause I really enjoyed it!

What a charming story!

I wasn't sure, at first about it being in 'letter form' and I did get a bit confused in the beginning with who's who...

I wished that I had made myself a lil cheat sheet of all the characters just 'cause they are all so charming and I didn't want to miss anything on any of them!

I love! love! love! the letters back and forth (and the relationship) between Juliet and her male BFF, Sidney.  They had such a witty and funny repartee and I loved those letters in particular between the two.

The main gal, Juliet is a great character!  I guess that's to say that she has a lot of personality!  She's a real character...  ;-)

I really enjoy these stories that incorporate real life events into an attention-keeping setting and, it's true what I once read somewhere which is that...

(To paraphrase) - When done/written well, sad or depressing can be really good and fun to read!

There's no doubt that the war (WWII) was incredibly sad and to read the things that went on during the German Occupation of Guernsey (or any place, for that matter) is an important reminder of our history and the past. 

But it's done so well here!  It's told in a way that doesn't dismiss the sadness of the reality of our history.  But it doesn't make you depressed and want to hide your head under the covers and forget the whole thing!

It's done with wit and charm... and hope and inspiration.

This makes me think of Jeannette Wall's The Glass Castle, which I also loved and could not put down.

And even Katheryn Stockett's The Help, which again, I could not put down and could not get enough of.

These stories are so incredibly well told and filled with hope, even in their darkest reality.

No comments: