Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith

Well I ended up really enjoying this one!

This one was for book club and I was a bit worried at first cause this was my pick and it started off real slow...

I had mixed feelings on this one early on.

At first, I could not get into it at all.  I found it to be waaaaaay too much detail.

Then, I found myself just powering through, just to get it done.

But after awhile, I really wanted to know what was going on with Francie and the people in her life.

While it was sad at times and times were tough, I liked that it wasn't completely depressing (like some of the other books we've read).

There was a hopefulness in every part of the story and kept me wanting to know more.

I think the author did a nice job of balancing between Francie's growing up and out of Brooklyn with not leaving her Brooklyn roots behind. 

She wanted more for herself, but she did not let go of herself or lose herself.

I really ended up enjoying this book and am so glad I finished it!  I'm glad I didn't let myself get caught up in the slowness of the detail in the beginning!  :)

No comments: