Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen

Well this is terrible but, I did read this and I didn't give it my all...

I read this as a filler between 'Bookclub Books' and I was dying to try something on the new Kindle!

I did enjoy this book and I did finish it!

It just took me waaaay longer than it should have.

And not 'cause of the book, either!

But just 'cause it ended up being a crazy-busy time.

I started this book around the time that my hubby busted his ankle surfing and my dad went into the ICU (both on the same weekend).

You'd think that I'd have had plenty of reading time at the hospital while visiting my dad but I really didn't!

I'd read this in bits and pieces whenever I could...

Like while waiting for hubby at his Physical Therapy appointments, or while waiting a few minutes at the hospital while my dad was sleeping.

Needless to say, I didn't give this book my full attention and it's safe to say I wasn't really 'all there' while reading it.

I did like it though!  She is witty and funny.  Her story is quite interesting.  I thought this would be more "Eat Pray Love"-ish and it's not quite.  But that's not a bad thing.

It's just another type of interesting story told in a different way.

I did enjoy reading about her mother and her sister.  If she really does have that kind of relationship with both, then I do envy her!  They sound and seem great and I'm glad for her that she has them in her life, especially during her hardest times.

As for reading on the Kindle... I love it!

I will say though... It's a bit of a double-edged sword on the whole dictionary thing.

It's great that the feature exists (where you can move the cursor in front of the first letter of any word and it'll give you a mini definition).  I loved learning new words.

The downside is that her book had a TON of words that I didn't know (or I'm just that dumb) but I was stopping every few minutes to see what a word meant!

That was great and slowing all at the same time.

:)

No comments: