Saturday, April 3, 2010

Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

Well...  For someone who was dragging her feet on reading this one, I now can't seem to walk away from it!!!

Writing this opinion/review would be like closing the door on it and moving on. 

And I'm not ready to leave it!

This one wasn't for bookclub.  It was just for me.

Since we had so much time between our last book and our next meeting (oh let's see... we chose the book in December and we met last week - March 23rd!!!), I needed something else to read in the meantime.

I'd always heard good things about Eat, Pray Love and I'd seen it everywhere!

But for some reason, it just wasn't grabbing my attention.  I thought it would be frou-frou or shi-shi... like fluff and earthy granola-ness...

While on a 3 hour layover in Baltimore and bored outta my mind, I picked it up and then could not put it down!

Anyway, the second we got home, I ran right out (to Costco, of course) and bought it!

Her story is amazing!  It's broken down into three parts and it's the first part that's the real reason I picked it up to begin with!

Italy
I love Italy!  Unfortunately, I've only been there once, but I'm grateful I've even been and it is one of the most amazing, wonderful, beautiful, delicious places I've ever seen!  (Florence, in particular!)  :)

I thought she did a great job of describing the wonderful culture that is Italy!  From the food to the handsome men!  The stylish women.  She was able to put into words all the things I came to love about Italy!

There is definitely a culture to it that is beautiful and simple.  They do have a love for living that comes in the pleasures of food and good company!

Where else can you enjoy a four hour meal where the food is so good, you don't want it to end?!?!

I have to admit, I didn't want her time in Italy to end and I was hungry the whole time I read this section!  :)

Thank you, Liz Gilbert for making food the 'pleasure' and not sex.  There's nothing wrong with crying over the best pizza ever... :)

India
I had a bit of a hard time getting into the India part.  Ashrams and Meditation... so not me.

But I came to enjoy this section of the book because of her search for prayer. 

It's funny how things come together sometimes. 

Around the time I started reading this book, I found myself trying to understand how to pray better and learn more about it.

And it's not even why I picked this book up!

Anyway, I love how simple she is with her approach to speaking to and with God.

With her trusty journal and pen, she just writes to Him with very clear and simple intentions or requests.

Something I've started trying to be better at myself, thanks to her!

On a random side note, two things talked a lot about in Art (or Art History anyway) are the In Between and Identity Politics.

Since studying these things in school, I am super aware of them now not only in Art but in life (Identity Politics in particular... something I'd like to study more!).

I was so happy to find her paragraph at the end of # 69 (pg. 204) describe these exact things!

She finds herself in the In Between in her life!  In between places both physically (towards the end of India and close to the beginning of Indonesia) and emotionally (in between prayer and devotion)!

She questions what she is supposed to be.
"I've spent so much time these last years wondering what I'm supposed to be.  A wife?  A mother?  A lover?  A celibate?  An Italian?  A glutton?  A traveler?  An artist?  A Yogi?  But I'm not any of these things, at least not completely."
It's like a page right outta my Conceptual Art studies book, with Adrian Piper in mind!

I love it!

Indonesia
I enjoyed this section of the book and I'm so glad she met Felipe!  We all need a Felipe!  :)

I'm glad she was able to enjoy this time in this place with just being.  She allowed herself to just Be... and it all came together, once she let go.

Just wonderful.

Obviously, my favorite part of this book was Italy but I really enjoyed all of it!

I am a bit hesitant about the movie version of this book.

For one, I'm not a big Julia Roberts fan...  But I'm also afraid they will leave out the best parts/concepts/ideas of this book.

How can all of this wonderful emotion be summed up into two hours?

I dunno but, if they can do it, great!

In the meantime, here's a nice Q&A video with Elizabeth Gilbert from the Authors@Google series!



Thank you, Liz Gilbert!

No comments: